Top tips to keep your silver sparkling
I’d like to share some of my top tips to keep your silver sparkling over the Christmas holidays and throughout the year.
- Avoid the silver coming into contact with perfume, hairspray or suntan lotion
- As a rule of thumb, put your silver jewellery on after you’ve got ready to avoid contact with the substances above
- Store it in a clean dry box, preferably on their own
- You could add little packets of silica found in handbags and gifts to the box to absorb any moisture.
- Don’t leave your silver in the bathroom, the moisture will speed up the tarnishing
- Avoid household cleaning chemicals and eggs (yes) the sulphur in eggs is sometimes used as an organic method of activating the tarnish to darken the silver!
- Clean it regularly with a good quality polishing cloth
- You can also use warm water and washing up liquid but avoid getting pearls wet. Use a cotton bud to get to hard to reach areas.
- If it’s very dirty use silver dip, but take care and follow the instructions – a few minutes at a time, rinse and if necessary repeat. Do not dip any silver with soft gemstones or pearls in – they will be damaged.
- Finally and possibly the best advice is wear it, just wearing silver prevents it becoming tarnished!
There’s always someone who will prove all of this wrong!! My mum seems to turn silver black! It must be some chemical in her skin, but as we both say she’ll just have to stick to gold
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!